Sunday 18 January 2009

Blendshapes and modelling

Heres a fantastic quote from Stop Staring (second edition) page 103 in reference to blendshapes:

"The face is always expressing somehow. The point is this: The model you're starting with isn't your character. These shapes you're about to build are. Treat every shape like it's the only shape anyone will ever see because combinations of the shapes you build here really are all anyone will ever see."

Just thought that was inspirational and true.


Heres a quick list of the sections from the book that I will be using to help make sure I do this right:

Page 76-89- facial modelling.
(Teeth and tongue are covered after this extract, but im not sure if the models going to need to be this complicated or not. Will discuss it with Phil tomorrow.) This extract uses the polygon toolset, but if I am using a different surface material it can be easilly translated into the toolset for that. If I go with Phils idea of subdivision surfaces then it's the same toolset anyway.

Chapter 6.
Very useful section with practical advice on the best way to create the fundamental blendshapes used in a diverse mouth setup, including information on avoiding common pitfalls. (Primarily the dangers of additive shapes.) This section also shows the importance of a properly modelled face, and goes on to explain blendshape weights.

Chapter 7.
Practical tutorial on modelling and rigging the eyes/brows. (Looking at Phils designs the eyes are going to be far simpler than the setup from the book, but I will still need to go through this for the eyebrow setup.)

Chapter 12
A far more detailed explanation of making an industry standard control panel as the facial interface.


The only nugget of info Stop Staring doesn't include is when to actually do the blendshapes. I.e. before or after skinning the body rig, as I still don't know whether it's even important or not. I havn't been able to find an answer anywhere, so I'm presuming it doesn't matter, but I don't want to assume anything. I have emailed Alex Hulse this question, so I should get my answer before I have to start doing it.


By the way Phil, as soon as I finish finding out what I need to know from this book, I will lend it to you. Theres a really good section on facial animation and acting that I think you ought to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment